Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Idols versus the Redeemer

Journaling is an awesome thing. When I don't do it, I can't remember anything and I feel unfaithful. Sometimes though, when I do journal, I feel like I do it just to say that I did it. What really needs to happen is for the journaling to be an overflow of what's in my heart rather than using writing to stir up something in my heart.

Last week I didn't journal a single day. I opened my notebook on Sunday at church and the last thing I had written was notes from a week earlier. I started to feel like the journal I was writing, while implementing Bible verses, was really just all about me.

I watched Reba the other day and heard something like this:
In the world there are lots of planets orbiting around lots of suns. There are lots of suns orbiting inside lots of galaxies, and lots of galaxies orbiting in the grand realm of "space." They all orbit around something. And that center of the universe... is not YOU!

I thought it was funny, but that's what God's telling me today.

Yesterday through Ruthie Dean's blog, I came to read Ezekiel 16 and the Lord showed me that my unfaithfulness is disgusting. He painted a picture of his incarnate Love who remains faithful to a forever covenant even in the face of my idolatrous heart.

Today I read Isaiah 43-44. Repeatedly God says that His glory is His purpose (as well as mine). He didn't save me to make me look good. He redeemed me, called me, created me, chose me, forgives me "for [Him]self that they might declare [His] praise" (43:21). There is no god but the God. There's God and there's idols. Who will you choose to serve?

No comments:

Post a Comment