Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Confidence to find grace

Today I am thankful that God doesn't just leave us alone. God disciplines his children. And it's not a slap on the wrist or sitting in time out. It's like he just takes your heart and squeezes it til you cry "mercy." I don't mean to make my God sound harmful, but discipline is ultimately good. It's for His glory and to make his children more like Himself. I don't know if you have those friends who will really tell you when you're wrong or call you out when you're not doing your best, but God has put a couple of those people in my life. And they're not friends who are college students that I hang out with all the time. But I am beyond grateful for these people because they have helped me grow spiritually. I'm pretty convinced after today that God uses people to discipline his children also. When we're kids, it's our parents. But when we're adults, he can use a number of things to figuratively punch us in the face. Today, it was harsh words from someone. All day I've been on the verge of tears and will probably cry before I finish this post, again. 

What I've learned today:- I am weak.- Weakness isn't bad. "When I'm weak, then am I strong" said Paul. God's strength is made perfect in my weakness (something I don't understand).
- Discipline sucks.
- Discipline is good for you.
- A good friend will still hold you like a parents holds that child throwing a fit, kicking and screaming for mom to put him down. A friend will give you the tough stuff, then hold you til you calm down and can act right.
- I'm naked in front of God. He exposes everything in me.
- I am invited to come to the throne of grace with boldness.
- There, there is mercy and grace to help in time of need.Basically, I need him desperately...
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account... Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:12-13, 16)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, the topic of discipline has been on my mind all day. God has been showing more in depth what He means when He says, "Follow Me." I have been reading the book Imitations of Christ, and I love what Thomas A Kempis says, " ...nakedly follow Jesus who was made naked for you..." I love your statement on on being naked before the Father, I believe if we continue to walk naked before Him, how much more humble, meek, and compassionate will I be. Thanks for sharing this Laura and it is so awesome to see how God is working in all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and I love your willingness to always be open...and I agree, discipline sucks, but I think that I have learned so much through discipline...sometimes I wish the learning could come without it...praying for you....

    ReplyDelete